Wise Cattle Company is located in the hills of western Pennsylvania just outside of Punxsutawney. The farm was established in 1837 and has remained in the family since then. In 1922 William and Marie Wise purchased 5 Angus cows in Virginia and created the foundation for our existing cow herd. Artificial insemination of the cows started in 1968 and continues to be a practice as well as cross breeding which started in 1973. Our cow herd has grown from 30 in 1968 to over 250.
Although producing competitive steers has been a primary goal, we have never forgotten the need for great females. Sound, easy keeping females with beautiful udders and great dispositions are just a few of the words describing the cows. The cow herd is fed 100% forages with no grain supplementation. These cows are mated with clubby type sires that are producing very competitive, affordable show cattle.
Over the years we have had both steers and heifers compete very successfully, including many champions at county fairs, class winners at the Indiana State Fair, and grand champion at the Ohio AGR. In 2010 we had our first Private Treaty Bid Sale and the farm and have continued that annually.
Having 2 veterinarians in the family assures a great herd health program.
We are always willing to show our cattle at the farm so contact us anytime!
The Wise Family